Saturday, October 29, 2011

IT is supposed to make our life easier, no?

I was just surfing around in the Internet on Saturday evening when I came across the following video made by Adam Technology. This video shows how the technology embedded in our daily life tends to make our life miserable.


Like it or not, I admit that my current lifestyle has been made simple and efficient via the usage of technology such as the computers, mobile phone, internet availability, e-commerce, e-banking and many more. However, there are times when I found that these technologies are rather disturbing and make my life a living hell.

Communications



I love the way how easy it becomes now to communicate with my parents. Almost 2 decades ago, I had to find a public phone to make a weekly phone call to my parents. In addition to that, I had to make sure that just enough coins were in hand for the call to survive the whole 10 minutes of conversation. There were many times when the conversation was ended abruptly. And I hated improper farewell. However, things change for the better nowadays.

It's easy to keep in touch my parents nowadays. There are so many ways of communications medium available such as fixed phone, mobile phone, email and chat. The use of coins is replaced by the usage of prepaid card. The most famous trend nowadays is via Facebook (yes, both of my parents have a Facebook account). Having connected via Facebook, my parents will always be updated on what we (the siblings) are up to. I can always call my mom on her mobile and our conservation normally ends with proper farewell.



But then, there are times when I wish that communications is not as easy as
it is now. It's when you receive phone calls from your boss during the weekends or nights inquiring about the on-going projects or work related matters. You cannot put your hand phone on off mode for your parents might not be able to reach you should some emergency happens. So, you just have to bear with it and pick up the call. It is also annoying when you receive telephone calls from tele-marketers promoting their products. Even when you initially are not interested to listen, but then the persuasive nature and tones of the person on the other line, make you sort of to 'oblige' to their request. This is when your life to start being miserable.


E-banking

Remember the old times when you had to wait in a very long queue in the Post Office to pay your bills? Or when you had to had biscuits and coffee for dinner in your dorm because your father can only bank in cash to your BSN account only after 9 am the next morning? Well, we can say good bye to all the long queues and official business hours of businesses and banks. The present days see a lot of people adopting the e-banking facilities in managing their life such as paying bills, mortgage, transferring funds (read: allowance) to their children and parents.

I love the e-banking for the fact that it absolutely simplifies my life. I pay my telephone bills, utilities, credit card and many mores via e-banking. I can choose the timing up to my preferences. It is so easy and fast. However, of late, I have heard of so many phishing scam in the internet. Phishing, from my understanding is about how the way bad people try to have access to your banking account by asking you to click on the website which requires your banking password. When this happen, you can expect that everything in your account are all gone. Zero. Frank fully speaking, I am afraid of this scenario. Being robbed silently is as painful as it is done physically. This is how our life can be miserable due to the technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment